- City Hall
Regular Full Time
Under the supervision of the Director, the Recreation Manager is responsible for the planning, development and implementation of strategies to enhance the awareness and participation of the community in Recreation, Culture and Special Events within the Cape Breton Regional Municipality.
Closing Date For Application
4:00 P.M. Friday, May 12, 2017
*Copies of all required certificates/diplomas/licenses must accompany applications to be considered
• University degree in recreation, physical education, tourism, sport or related field with five years of combined experience in recreation program administration or an equivalent combination of education and experience (Must include copy).
• Minimum of 5 years previous recreation experience at supervisory/management level.
• Working knowledge of computer (Microsoft Office products).
• Must possess and maintain a valid Nova Scotia Drivers License (Must include copy).
• Demonstrated ability and knowledge of the skills and techniques involved in recreation delivery, high degree of interpersonal communication skills.
• Manages and supervises all staff under his/her charge within the guidelines established by the Recreation and Human Resource Department to include recruitment, selection, performance appraisal, and disciplinary action.
• Provide the community with the opportunity to participate in personal, social, economic and environmental benefits of recreation by facilitating programs/services with the respective community organizations.
• Enhance recreational opportunities for the community by working in conjunction with other Department Coordinators to promote programs, services and special events that are designed and developed by community organizations, the Municipality and/or other government agencies.
• Provides direct administration to and assumes financial responsibility for departmental programs under his/her jurisdiction; and assists with the administration of all other department programs as required.
• Promote the cultural identity of the Municipality by designing and implementing strategies for the development of indigenous cultural programming in cooperating with community groups and organizations.
• Provide promotional support for Department/Community activities and events. In conjunction with staff coordinate the design and production of marketing for distribution.
(i.e. web, brochures, media, etc.)
• In-conjunction with the Community design, develop and implement special event programs.
• Provide training opportunities for staff and volunteers to improve leadership.
• Be responsible for and prepares records and correspondence necessary for effective and efficient operation of assigned budget.
• Represents the department at public functions and assists client groups in assessing their effectiveness in the provision of recreation programs.
• Assists where required in the general administration of the Recreation Department.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Good knowledge of marketing
• Ability to design, develop and implement promotional strategies for all programs and services of the department.
• Considerable knowledge of community recreational needs and resources.
• Ability to design and implement strategies for the development of indigenous cultural programming in cooperation with community groups and organizations.
• Ability to assist, co-ordinate, and promote special events that are designed and developed by the department, other government agencies and community organizations.
• Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with employees, supervisor, external groups and general public.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Skills in problem solving, decision making and independent judgement.
• Ability to set personal goals and assist others to do the same.
• Ability to make decisions and recommendations regarding financial assistance programs.
• Must be a self-starter and able to work with limited supervision.
• Must be able to respond to demands of the public in a prompt, efficient diplomatic manner.
• Participate with other departmental staff in the development of new policies and programs and modifications to those already in place.
Applications quoting Reference No. 17.19-E should be directed to:
Human Resources Department, Cape Breton Regional Municipality
320 Esplanade, Suite 303
Sydney, Nova Scotia, B1P 7B9
Applications/Resumes may also be dropped off in person to the Commissionaire, First Floor – City Hall during regular working hours (8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
Although we thank all applicants for their submissions, we will respond only to those we wish to interview.
“The Cape Breton Regional Municipality is committed to the principles of Employment Equity and encourages applications from the designated groups; women, visible minorities, aboriginals and persons with disabilities. CBRM encourages the need for respect, integrity, diversity, accountability and the public good.”
Although we thank all applicants for their submissions, we will respond only to those we wish to interview. CBRM is committed to the principles of Employment Equity and encourages applications from the designated groups; women, visible minorities, aboriginals and persons with disabilities. CBRM encourages the need for respect, integrity, diversity, accountability and the public good.