A Defining Place in Canadian History
On November 18, 2017, Rodger Cuzner, Member of Parliament for Cape Breton–Canso, on behalf of the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, will commemorate the Marconi Wireless Station as a defining place in Canadian history. Having demonstrated the feasibility of transatlantic wireless communication in 1901, Guglielmo Marconi established a permanent station on Cape Breton Island in 1902. When the original Table Head site at the Marconi National Historic Site proved too restricted, the station was relocated in 1905 to Marconi Towers, south of Glace Bay. This new station, operating with a “sister” in Clifden, Ireland, first provided regular public intercontinental service in 1908, and here Marconi further refined wireless technology. The station closed in 1946. The ceremony will take place at 2 p.m. the Glace Bay Heritage Museum in Glace Bay.