2017 Residential Heavy Garbage Collection Schedule
The CBRM Solid Waste Department's Residential Heavy Garbage collection is scheduled for MONDAY, MAY 1, 2017 across the municipality. Residents living at properties eligible for curbside collection must have their large, heavy or bulky household items placed curbside no later than 6 a.m. on Monday, May 1. Residents are asked to review the Residential Heavy Garbage Collection requirements outlined below.
RESIDENTIAL HEAVY GARBAGE COLLECTION: Accepted Items and Requirements
Large, heavy or bulky household items eligible for curbside placement will be collected during residential heavy garbage collection. Small or light items that can fit inside a garbage bag should be placed curbside during your area's weekly garbage collection year round.
Accepted Household Items For Heavy Garbage Collection May Include:
Sofas, chairs, upholstered furniture, mattresses, box springs, carpeting, flooring, vinyl windows or doors.
- Panes of glass from windows should be removed when possible. Collectors are not responsible for cleaning up or removing broken glass or debris that remains curbside.
- Carpeting should be rolled and tied with string or rope. Please make sure the rolled carpet is safe to handle with no protruding nails or staples.
Wooden dressers, drawers, furniture, chairs, tables or doors.
- Wooden items must be disassembled.
- Wooden legs on tables should be removed.
- Empty drawers from dressers should be removed and placed beside the dresser.
Appliances and metal items:
Large appliances/metal items such as refrigerators, stoves, deep freezers, dishwashers, humidifiers, microwave ovens, empty oil tanks, empty hot water tanks, steel bath tubs, sinks and metal household radiators.
- A maximum of 5 large appliances will be collected curbside from each address.
- Appliances containing Freon will be collected separately.
- EMPTY oil tanks 1140 L (250 gallons) or less in size and empty hot water tanks will be collected. Please make sure there is no liquid or residue remaining inside these tanks.
Residents who have questions about items they wish to dispose of but do not see them listed above are encouraged to contact the Waste Management Hotline at (902) 567-1337.
RESIDENTIAL HEAVY GARBAGE COLLECTION: Items Not Accepted
The items listed below WILL NOT BE COLLECTED during Heavy Garbage. Items not accepted during this collection will be left for the resident to remove from the curb.
Items not accepted for Heavy Garbage includes:
- Electronics including computers, monitors, televisions, personal/portable audio and video play back/recording systems, vehicle audio/video systems, home theatre in a box (HTB) systems, home audio/video systems or non-cellular telephones
- Cell phones
- All household special waste materials (unused paint, gas, oil and other petroleum products, etc.)
- Propane tanks and propane cylinders
- Construction and demolition materials
- Fluorescent lights and other mercury containing products
- Asphalt roofing shingles
- Concrete, mortar and brick
- Vehicle parts
- Vehicle tires
- Colored, tinted or dark garbage bags
- Leaf and yard waste including large trees and branches, shrubs and bushes, etc.
RESIDENTIAL HEAVY GARBAGE COLLECTION- Important Reminders:
- Heavy Garbage Collection for all areas of CBRM is Monday, May 1, 2017.
- All heavy garbage material must be placed curbside before 6 a.m. on Monday, May 1, 2017. Collection starting points will vary across the municipality.
- Heavy garbage items will only be removed from properties eligible to receive curbside collection (properties that receive municipal curbside collection by the Solid Waste Department each week for garbage, green cart and bi-weekly blue bag collection.)
- All heavy garbage material must be placed to the curb to receive collection. Items left on steps, at the side of homes or in back yards will not be removed.
- Streets and roads will only be visited ONCE.
- Appliances containing Freon will be collected separately from other large, heavy or bulky items.
- Regular household garbage, blue bag material and green carts must be kept separated from heavy garbage items.
- Small or light weight items should not be included with heavy garbage. These items can be placed out for collection during weekly garbage collection year round.
- Used vehicle tires with a rim size of 24.5" or less will not be collected during heavy garbage. Used tires must be returned to a tire retailer for disposal. You can return up to 4 used tires at one time to any tire retailer in Nova Scotia, at no cost.
- Televisions, computers and other electronics will not be collected curbside. These old or unwanted electronics must be taken to any EPRA Drop-Off Centre for disposal free of charge. For a complete list of electronic products accepted at EPRA Drop-Off Centre's, please visit www.recycleMYelectronics.ca/ns
- Collectors ARE NOT responsible for cleaning up small debris left over from residents' heavy garbage.
- Residents ARE RESPONSIBLE for removing all items not accepted during heavy garbage collection from the curb at their own expense.
- Please DO NOT keep items such as bicycles, scooters, skateboards, hockey or basketball nets, lawn mowers or waste containers not intended for collection near your heavy garbage pile. Items mistakenly taken during this collection are not the responsibility of the Solid Waste Department.
For more information on CBRM's Heavy Garbage Collection program, please phone the Hotline at (902) 567-1337. Educators are available to respond to inquiries from 8:30am to 4pm Monday to Friday.