Waste Management Reminders
A Preventative Illegal Dumping Reminder
In an effort to reduce and prevent illegal dumping, CBRM Solid Waste is reminding residents that when using the services of another person to remove waste materials from your property, you should remember to always:
- Request contact information of the person removing the waste materials for you.
- Properly record the license plate number of the vehicle that is used to haul the materials from your property.
- Record the date and time the waste materials were removed from your property.
- Ask for a copy of the scale slip to verify waste was taken to the waste management facility for disposal.
Residents who would like more information on Illegal Dumping or other Waste Management programs in CBRM are encouraged to phone the Waste Management Hotline at (902) 567-1337.
Traveling to CBRM's Waste Management Facility with Disposal Materials: Secure Your Load
It is common to see vehicles traveling on streets, roads or highways hauling materials to CBRM’s Waste Management Facility. However, some drivers may forget to properly secure and/or tarp their materials, which could cause some of their material to escape along the way. When bringing items to one of CBRM’s Waste Disposal Sites please make sure your materials are tied down and/or covered before leaving. Materials from an unsecure load can shift, become loose, move around and escape from a moving vehicle which becomes a hazard to other drivers, leading to unsightly litter and possibly legal repercussions.
Before traveling to a CBRM Waste Management Site with your waste:
- Properly tie down, secure or cover materials with a tarp or mesh netting to prevent debris from escaping from your vehicle while traveling on roadways.
- Place lightweight materials at the bottom of the load instead of at the top.
- Secure and tie down large items such as mattresses, furniture, appliances or construction debris with rope or bungie cords to prevent them from shifting or falling off while vehicle is in motion.
- Loose items like coffee cups, chip bags or pop cans should be removed or contained inside a bag so it cannot escape during travel on roadways.
- Always double check to make sure your material is tarped, tied down and properly secured before traveling on roadways.
Are you interested in picking up litter around your neighborhood? If so, contact the Solid Waste Hotline at (902) 567-1337. The solid waste department will provide bags and gloves to individuals and groups interested in doing a litter cleanup. If we all work together, we can make a difference. Let's keep CBRM Clean and Beautiful. For more information on making litter a thing of the past, contact the hotline today!