After an Emergency

Personal & Financial Recovery From the Effects of an Emergency

Recuperating from the effects of an emergency can be difficult and traumatic.  Knowing where and how to get help for you and your family following an emergency is crucial to the recovery process.  Recovery involves not only physical and emotional recovery, but financial and property recuperation as well.

Who's Responsible?

The following list is intended to provide some understanding of who may be responsible for certain damage or disturbances which occur as a result of a hurricane or other natural disaster. CBRM also recommends that residents have a good knowledge of where their own property ends and where a neighbour's or municipally-owned property begins.

Trees, Brush and Debris:

  • CBRM trees that fall on private property will be removed by CBRM.
  • Private trees that fall on CBRM property must be removed by the owner or may be cut up by CBRM and moved back onto the property.
  • Trees located on private land will be the sole responsibility of the homeowner.
  • CBRM is not responsible for removing brush and debris from private property.

Utility Poles/Power lines

Property damage

  • Any damage to private property - occurring as a result of a hurricane or other natural disaster - should be reported to your insurance company.


  • An alarm triggered by a power reconnect, and not as a result of a real emergency, should be reported to a resident's alarm company.

Trapped in Your Home

  • Call 911

Well Concerns

  • In the event of a power interruption, individuals should contact NSPI (at the above number). Well water testing inquiries should be directed to Nova Scotia Department of Environment at 902-424-3600 or 1-800-565-1633.