Kelly Lake Watershed Advisory Committee Terms of Reference
The purpose of the Kelly Lake Watershed Advisory Committee is to protect the Kelly Lake Watershed by:
- Advising the CBRM Water Utility on the management of Kelly Lake watershed in order to ensure an adequate supply of safe drinking water from the watershed;
- Collecting and reviewing information from stakeholders and other resources, and using that information to work with stakeholders to protect Louisbourg's water supply;
- Providing a forum for landowners, residents, and users of the watershed to contribute and receive information and discuss all matters related to the management of the watershed;
- Preparing, and helping to implement through activities such as education, a water supply watershed management strategy for the Kelly Lake watershed.
The water supply watershed of Kelly Lake which includes Stewarts Lake, Gull Lake, Morrisons Lake, Peters Lake, MacDonalds Little Lake, and all those lands, ponds, and stillwaters which drain into Kelly Lake.
- Private Landowner Representatives – 3 members
- NewPage Port Hawkesbury Ltd. representative – 1 member
- Parks Canada Agency – 1 member
- Councillor, CBRM – 1 member
- Department of Natural Resources – 1 member
- CBRM Water Utility – 1 member
- Resource Members (non-voting)
- NS Department of Environment
- NS Department of Natural Resources
- NS Department of Fisheries
4.0 Operation of Committee
- The committee chair and vice-chair will be elected every two years by the committee.
- CBRM will provide secretarial services.
- The committee will endeavour to conduct business by consensus which requires:
- much discussion involving all sides or points of view
- agreement by all concerned on a specific issue
- encouragement of participation and involvement by everyone
- Five committee members will constitute a meeting quorum.
- A General Meeting may be called every two years at the discretion of the committee.