- City Hall
During holidays or special events, large amounts of gift wrap, styrofoam, boxes, food waste, decorations and other festive packaging gets disposed of incorrectly. While celebrating any holiday or special occassion with family and friends, the Solid Waste Department encourages everyone to dispose of their waste properly.
|Items and Disposal Options||Re-Use||Clear Bag (Garbage)||Blue Bag 1 (Plastics)||Blue Bag 2 (Paper)||Green Cart (Food Waste)||Other|
|Gift wrap, ribbon, bows, tissue paper and other gift accessories||√||√|
|Empty cardboard tubes||√|
|Decorative gift boxes||√||√|
|Cards (glittery, musical)||√||√|
|Plastic packaging (toys)||√|
|Plastic food packaging used to wrap meat, fish & poultry||√|
|Broken or damaged ornaments 1||√|
|Broken glassware 1||√|
|Fireworks 2 WARNING: Do not dispose of fireworks while still hot or warm||√|
|Christmas tree lights 3||√||√|
|Computers/printers/televisions/radios, etc. 4||√|
|Beverage Containers 5||√|
|Milk Cartons & Eggnog containers||√|
|Artificial Christmas trees & artificial wreaths||√|
1. Broken glass and broken or damaged ornaments should be placed inside a small box or container and labelled broken glass before disposing in your clear garbage bag.
2. COLD firework debris can be disposed of in your clear garbage bag. Do not dispose of used firewroks in the garbage while debris is still hot or war.
3. Christmas tree lights can be exchanged during a Christmas Tree Exchange event held during the Christmas Season. Contact the Solid Waste Department for other disposal options.
4. Computers, printers, televisions, radios and other electronics can be dropped off free of charge at a local EPRA drop-off site. Contact the Waste Management Hotline at (902) 567-1337 for a list of electronics accepted in program and for a location near you. You can also visit www.recycleMYelectronics.ca/ns
5. Beverage Containers can be returned to any local ENVIRO-DEPOTTM located in CBRM or disposed of in your Container/Plastic Materials Blue Bag.
Used Fireworks and Sparklers: COLD Used firework debris can be disposed of in the Garbage. Do not dispose of fire works when they are still hot or warm.
Pumpkins: Used pumpkins can be disposed of in your green cart. Please remove any candles or decorations from the pumkin before you place inside your green cart.
Candles: if you cannot reuse candles, please dispose of them in the garbage once the candles are cold.
Corn Stalks: Corn stalks can be disposed of in your green cart. Plastic corn stalks should be disposed of in the garbage if you can no longer reuse them.
Hay Bales: Hay from hay bales should be gradually added to your green cart over time. Please do not place actual bales inside your green cart. Residents may also bring hay bales to one of the seasonal leaf and yard drop-off sites for disposal or to the Waste Management Facility.
Costumes & Masks: if you do not plan on reusing costumes and masks, please consider placing unwanted costumes and masks in one of the donation bins set up across CBRM. To locate a donation bin near you please visit http://afterwear.ca/ .
Candy, gum and bar wrappers and chip bags: wrappers from candy, gum, bars and chip bags are disposed of in the garbage. Uneaten candy, chips and other treats that you no longer want can be disposed of in the green cart.
Candy, Gum, Bar and Chip boxes: Please consider reusing boxes to store halloween decorations for next season. If you do not have another use for these boxes, please dispose of in the same blue bag as your other paper items.
Empty pop cans, water bottles, juice containers and other refundable items: Empty beverage containers can be returned to any local ENVIRO-DEPOTTM located in CBRM. You can also dispose of these containers in your Container/Plastic Materials Blue Bag. Please make sure you rinse out containers before disposal.
Halloween Decorations: Damaged decorations that can no longer be reused can be disposed of in the garbage. Paper based decorations that contain NO glitter or glues can be placed in the same blue bag as your other paper items.