safety tips for heavy garbage
IMPORTANT SAFETY REMINDER: HEAVY GARBAGE COLLECTION
Attention CBRM Residents,
It is your responsibility to ensure your materials do not cause a hazard.
Cape Breton Regional Fire & Emergency Service
Fire Prevention Division
The heavy garbage safety tips located below have been developed by the Fire Prevention Division of the Cape Breton Regional Fire and Emergency Service.
Curbside Heavy Garbage Safety Tips:
- The 2021 heavy garbage collection is scheduled to start on Monday, June 21. Please avoid placing your materials to the curb too early. We encourage you to wait until the weekend of June 19 and June 20.
- Do not place heavy garbage against your home or outbuildings. Ensure there is a safe distance between your heavy garbage pile and your home and outbuildings.
- Ensure there is a safe distance between your heavy garbage pile and your neighbor’s property.
- Do not place hazardous materials, propane tanks, paint, or flammable liquids in your heavy garbage pile. There are safe, alternative disposal options for these products in CBRM. Contact the Hotline at (902) 567-1337.
- Do not attempt to hide hazardous materials, flammable liquids or dangerous goods in your heavy garbage. This poses a risk to your property, your neighbor’s, pedestrians, collectors and possible Emergency Responders.
- If you observe a fire in any heavy garbage pile, call 911 immediately.